Saturday, February 19, 2011

Logo / Box Art concepts

You guys may have noticed the new header at the top of this blog. That's a bit of a prototype for the logo I'm hoping we'll be able to have commissioned for the game. I'm not that great at font metrics, but after several hours of tweaking and path-editing in Illustrator, I think I've got the vectors down to how I want it. All that's left would be to send it off to a pro to give it a nice paint-over so that it can be used in our promotional art, title screen, and etc.

And now for some fun stuff. Here are a few sketches I did starting from back in January coming up with the logo:





Those of you observant with fantasy game cliches and trends might notice some inspiration from some other games in the logo design.  Much of the wide swaths and serifed design are reminiscent of (and take some of their cues from) some of the Falcom computer games of yesteryear.  Brian and I had both done some logo design before, so after having a short discussion with him one day over some silly things like logos and box art, I sketched up the above logo in OpenCanvas. 

On the left here is some box art from one of the many, many releases of Ys Books I&II which seemed to leave a positive impression on Brian.  The faux-varnished feel and gold trim accent the logo and concept art quite nicely.



(Click to enlarge)

For fun, I also created some faux box art for FaeSaga around the same time I sketched the original concept logo.  Elements of a bird's-eye background with a stereotypical "flying" scene which was common on box art of the day (but of course never happened in any of the games!) is overlaid by the protagonist's back facing the viewer, with a cornucopia of enemies and/or things from the game flying at him from the other side.

This concept art was inlaid starkly against a plain background to give it a letterboxed or obi-band feel.
At the bottom, a bit of flourish leads the viewer's eye to our group's logo, and (where applicable), the relevant game format and rating information.



Please Share


No comments:

Post a Comment